Did You Know
- Spina Bifida affects about one in every 1000 children born per year in Ireland. For reasons yet unknown, Ireland has the highest incidences of Spina Bifida in the world! Even in America, the highest rate of Spina Bifida occurs amongst those of Celtic descent.
- The Mid West Spina Bifida Association is a voluntary organisation run by parents and friends of people in County Limerick, Clare, and northern Tipperary who live with one or both of these conditions. We provide services to close to 100 families. Our members range in age from newborn to just over 46!
- Our services are FREE OF CHARGE and include physiotherapy (including assessment and intervention), orthotics, counseling for members and family, special bikes and equipment, computer classes, cookery, leadership and self awareness development, summer camps, swimming and art lessons, wheelchair sports (rugby, basketball, boccia, snooker, rowing, horseback riding, and many more) billiard lessons, paid expenses to families attending clinics in Dublin, paid extra tuition, parental support, social activities, respite, Wheels in Motion social group, leadership and confidence building courses, sexuality awareness courses, drug awareness training, and much more!
- The Limerick Branch of the Irish Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus came into being on October 26th, 1968. In the early 80's, the Mid Western Association was formed, completely independent from the National Association. As we are a completely independent charity, every cent we raise goes directly towards services. As we do not receive any funds from any national association and are less than 30% funded by the HSE, we must rely heavily on fundraising to continue to provide much needed services.
- Our Association was established for the care, welfare, interest, treatment, education, advancement and rehabilitation of persons born with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus in Ireland.